Thursday, August 4, 2011

Can someone help me with my landlord? She is a nightmare!?

My ex landlord is refusing to give me back my deposit. When I moved into the house I offered her to come and mark down any damages she saw before i moved in. she said that wasn't necessary. I did this because I redid the hardwood floors. I also did all the cleaning and painting before moving in. Was freezing cold outside but she wouldn't allow me to turn heat on because heat was still in her name. I could smell musty moldy in the basement. when I was in the basement cleaning it felt like something was growing in my throat. the landlord said that is because the house had been empty for a while. every time it rained basement flooded BAD. she didn't fix that. Window in basement had NO window in it. In winter my house was 60 degrees when heat was set at 72. (in the one room directly above the window with no window). I said something to her on Mothers Day when she showed up at the house, about the window and she said it would be fixed but not for me. The next renters would have all the things that I was asking fixed fixed for them. I taped this conversation only because my husband thought I was making up on how she treated me and I was appalled that she said that to me. During winter when humidifier needed to be ran, walls would have brown stuff running from the ceiling. She said that wasn't her fault. Mold is growing on brand new windows she just put in last fall and is also growing on the ceiling in the corner of my sons bedroom and in my other sons bedroom is growing on the crease of the ceiling and wall, the last straw was the water heater. It was wet on the floor by the water heater and she knew about it for 2 months before I moved out, and she never did anything about it. She denied knowing about it, but on Mothers day I told her again, I moved out May 31st, and the water heater was still not working right. My husband spoke with her last night and asked her what was going on with our deposit and she said with all the damage that we did, she didn't think there would be a deposit. She was never in the house to see if there was any damage done before we moved in. Her daughter was the one that lived there before us. She is blaming her daughters accidents on us. I offered her to come to see the house and she said no. There was a fridge that is probably 25 years old and she is saying that we will be paying for that to because it is not working. After living there for 8 months, at her and her daughters request, she asked my husband and his company to redo the driveway because it was asphalt and they wanted cement, him being a machine operator for a large excavating company they wanted to get a good deal. She did alright. Not a dime was taken off our rent. We supplied the helpers, food, of course the beers for the guys who had to work on a Saturday for free, and not until this past year did we find out that we were charged for the re-bar and gravel for the driveway. Can someone tell me what I can do about this woman? DO I have a good case here? I should also tell you that I have video tape from when I moved and also took more video when I moved out along with pictures.. I know and learned for this that I will never live somewhere without having a lease. She said that was not necessary because me and her daughter were friends. I should have you know that I am a very clean neat orderly person. Me and my husband are what you could call the dream tenants.THe landlord said the only thing she is responsible for was the property taxes and that was it. Oh and the weekend of Mothers Day, the city sewer backed up in the basement, and she wanted us to pay for the bill to call the plumber in only to find out that it was a city problem. Then when we made a claim with our insurance for the things that we lost, she wanted to add that bill to our claim and the drywall that needs taken out because it was saturated in sewer. I said that was not our problem and she said she shouldn't have to pay for it, so we do?? Someone help me with this horrible lady!! Thanks in advance,

No comments:

Post a Comment