Wednesday, August 10, 2011

5 year old pees on himself on purpose and throws tantrums. I'm so frustrated?

My son is 5 years old. He has been potty trained for almost 2 years. About 3 months ago he wet the bed. I felt horrible for him, told him it would be okay, changed him and sent him back to bed. Well, he has wet the bed about 90% of the time since then but, only at bedtime. Plus he never wets the bed at the sitters, my brothers, his mothers... anywhere but at home. He goes to the restroom before bed. Most times he only urinates a tiny bit in his pants but, it's enough for him to tell me "daddy, I peed my pants". The first month or so I was very compassionate and understanding. The next month I didn't say a word to him when it happened, just changed him and sent him back to bed. Recently I have started making him stand in the corner for a few minutes and then change him. I make him help me clean the mess almost every time. I've tried positive reinforcement, encouragement, silence, punishment... everything I can think of but, he continues to wet the bed. Everything I'm reading online says that very rarely will a child wet himself on purpose but, I'm 99% confident that this is the case. I don't know if he's trying to get attention, if he's trying to test me, if he sees it as an excuse to not go to sleep... I just don't know. Most times it seems like a game to him... he'll have a smile on his face when he tells me he wet himself. I've even went to the extent of threatening to put him back in a diaper at bedtime. He laughs at me Usually, when I threaten something I intend on backing it up but, I just couldn't bring myself to put him back in a diaper. He was crying and I felt like it wasn't the right thing to do. I'm at a loss and hope ya'll have some good advice for me. Thanks for your time, much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment